The best way to celebrate National Egg Month and National Asparagus Month at the same time is with an asparagus frittata! Enjoy this delicious recipe via Simply Recipes
- 2 tablespoons Butter, Unsalted
- 1/2 cup Shallots, Sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 pound Asparagus Spears, Thin (tough ends snapped off, spears cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths)
- 6 Eggs, Large
- 3/4 cup Ricotta Cheese (or cottage cheese)
- 1 tablespoon Chives, Minced, Fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon Tarragon, Dried
- 1 cup Gruyere or Swiss Cheese, Shredded
Heat butter into a 10-inch oven-proof frying pan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until they soften and turn translucent. Add asparagus and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Beat the eggs and ricotta cheese together; stir in the chives and tarragon. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook until almost set but still runny on top, about 4 to 5 minutes. While cooking, pre-heat oven broiler.
Sprinkle Gruyere cheese over the eggs. Put in oven to broil until cheese is melted and browned and the center is set, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove pan from oven with oven mitts and slide frittata onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges. Caution: Pan handle will be hot.